Venting Outside + Filters Inside

Craig Parker

I would like to vent outside in summer and filter in winter and I know some have done this but I'm not sure how to this. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks.

Craig

Take a look at the photos in Roy Hill's installation in the Photo Gallery, found here. He uses a wye to the filters and opens a blast gate in the second leg to vent outdoors.

I made a 9in. square duct with a rotating gate to switch between an outside vent and the filters and shown in the DIY Cyclones. It’s easy to switch and has been working real well. I made it this way because I thought the blast gates on the pressure side might leak a lot of dust. Mine keeps the dust confined to the duct and any leakage past the blast gate goes outside or through the filters.

We just move the flex hose from the cyclone outlet from the tube into our filter box (we filter outside to in) to the tube going outside and tighten up the hose clamp again. Quick and easy and no worries about dust leaking from a blast gate (which was a concern with a previous set up).

Craig,
You also need to consider return air when you vent outside. It would be best to have an opening (door, window, whatever) on the other end of the shop so you don't draw in dusty air and so you also stir the air in the shop. You want the opening large enough that you don't create a strong, annoying breeze. If you have an open flame device like a gas water heater make sure you don't create a negative pressure that could draw in carbon monoxide.
bababrown

Back