What size Flex Hose from exhaust to filters - 8" or 10"?

Rushton

I'm planning to install HVAC insulated flex hose from the exhaust of my CV1800 with 16" impeller to my filters. I have a straight transition from Clear Vue sized for 8" flex, but I'm wondering if it would make better sense to use 10" flex hose. I plan to have at least 8 feet of duct run to the filters. I recall that McRabbet uses 10" for his exhaust and I assume has been pleased with his choice. I'd value input on which folks think would be better to use in my setup: 8" or 10" flex?

[Edit: I've decided to use 10" insulated HVAC flex hose and have updated the sketch below to show the current design that I'm now building for the cyclone and filters. I have switched the configuration to side-by-side filters with a top manifold to eliminate any 90 degree turns in the duct and create as smooth a run of duct as possible from the exhaust. The cyclone will be mounted in a free-standing support structure so that it does not connect to the structure of the house except as it stands on the concrete floor.]

Sketch of Installation.JPG

Last edited:
Rushton, how did you connect the flexhose to the exhaust outlet and filters? I am running the straight transition instead of the 90 degree. Also, the 10" flex duct i got was from lowes with the silver jacket, and it just seems like it would get torn apart by that amount of turbulence, have you noticed anything like this?

Thanks bud

With difficulty. I used the straight transition and kept the flex duct as straight as possible. The 10' duct is a lot larger than the transition so I wrapped and wrapped aluminum duct tape around the joint until I had a seal. It seems to be holding. I've not had a problem with wear, but my shop activities have been curtailed due to other family activities so it hasn't had much use.

Back