What size shop vac for the mini cyclone

dgee28

Hi,

Just received the mini cyclone. Not sure what size shop vac to get.

What is the minimum power required? Is there a maximum power?

Thanks.

David

Shop Vac

Shop Vac

David,

Just about any old shop vac will do. Really depends on what you intend to do for a collection bucket. Though they don't regularly publish specs in this manner, the Mini seems happy with anywhere from a tad below 100 inches of water for suction and around 100 CFM to over 120 inches and a bit more or less CFM. I'm sort of partial to the Feins, just impressed with how quiet they are, plus the front panel outlet and auto on / off feature, but they are pricy. Cheapest I've found their smallest, the Turbo I, is $225 + about $8.50 shipping (www.coastaltool.com).

The Ridgid conversion lid CV sells uses a $99 Ridgid vac as the starting point. And somewhere on these forums I recall someone got a really powerful Shop Vac brand unit and collapsed his collection barrel.

Yes there is energy expended in twirling the cyclone, but I haven't noticed loss in suction or airflow, so those losses are minimal. So if you find a shop vac that yields sufficient suction and flow for your needs, the addition of the Mini in line won't have much impact on the performance you see and feel at the "business end" of the hose.

I trust you've already explored the photo gallery. The Mini area has a fair number of various different shop vacs that have been successfully employed.

Regards,

DWD

Thanks for your reply

Thanks for your reply

Hi DWD,

Thanks for your reply. I can get my hand on an old Shop Vac and I'll start with that.

Again, thanks.

David

Back