Where, specifically, is caulking needed?

NickLazz

Hello,

I just received my cyclone and am in the process of painting the mdf parts. I have tried to search the forums regarding caulking but have not had my questions answered. So... during installation / assembly where are all the necessary areas to caulk?

It seems some caulk a multitude of things and some only what is necessary. Sorry if this is redundant.

Thanks for your help.

Nick

Caulk / Seals

Caulk / Seals

Nick,

The Assembly Instructions identify most. If you haven't already, the PDF is available under the Product Info tab on ClearVue's home page.

Places I think its absolutely required are, in no particular order
- Transition to blower housing, assuming you're using the stock transition
- Transition to filter stack, ditto on the stock transition
- Transition bottom piece (that mates to filters) to side MDF pieces
- Once desired alignment found, cyclone top to blower housing bottom
- Cyclone bottom to flex (though you could scheme another way to seal)
- Flex pipe to bin (again, you may find alternate methods, depending on your installation
- Inlet transition pieces (though again, if you wish a more temporary seal, scheme another way)

Optionally, you can also caulk the blower and transition PTEG to the housings, but just in case you ever need to take either apart again, probably best to apply a bead after assembly rather than run caulk in the grove then insert PTEG.

If you desire, some of these can be sealed with closed cell foam, as I and others have done, so they can be disassembled.

In the galleries, check Steve (Woodman's) and Mr. Useless' installations as theirs stick in my mind as being some of the better ones for showing the use of caulk.

That's all I can think of at present. I'm sure if I missed any, others will correct me.

Regards,
DWD

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you very much!

I have been painting the parts in stages, so I am nearing assembly. Your post should help quite a bit.

Nick

DWD covered it pretty good. I caulked all the seams I could get to after it was put together. I even caulked the edge of the air ramp in the cyclone, (from the underside of the ramp only!!!) as much as I could. Couldn't reach all of it. :rolleyes: :p
The blower will come apart easily done from the exterior of the joint. If nothing else, cut with a razor or Exacto knife and pull apart. That easy.
I did the same on my PVC joints, and I've had to take a few of them apart. Again cut with a knife and pull apart. If they had caulk down in the joint, you'd never get it apart. Jim.

Assembly in progress

Assembly in progress

I am assembling my parts now, so it is all making sense. I plan on mounting the CV about 12" from the ceiling which is 13'6" high.
Probably should start a new thread but, have you seen the mufflers from McMaster-Carr? Do these really make that much difference?

Thanks again,

Nick

Back