DIY Bin Sensor Project, cheap!

hiya all, just joined up here after finding the thread for the diy fill sensor
i have a CV max- going into a 55gal drum, and we fill a drum in a day and a half.
i like the setup here.
went on amazon- the links didnt work, but the part no produced a bunch of hits- not sure which board was the right one.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
i am a bit of a techno peasant, so any help or directions with this project would be greatly appreciated

second question, is would i be able to use a similar setup in the pvc pipe right at our milling machine- sometimes if the wood is milled off in a big spiral, it can plug the pipe right close to the machine- the pipe is 6" right before it goes into the 8" i could cut holes in the pvc and super glue clear lexan over the pipe to create little windows to put this equipment up against.
this is an auto fed machine- so there are not always "eyes on " the machine

many thanks all!!
Ps- i am in Canada

would i be able to use a similar setup in the pvc pipe right at our milling machine- sometimes if the wood is milled off in a big spiral, it can plug the pipe right close to the machine- the pipe is 6" right before it goes into the 8" i could cut holes in the pvc and super glue clear lexan over the pipe to create little windows to put this equipment up against.

I'm sure it could be made to work. Just need to ensure the sensor is not over the "normal" chip path (chips surprisingly seem to take the same path every time from my machines).

hi Mark, many thanks
i am in BC, islands of Haida Gwaii
but if you pm me your no i would be happy to call at my expense at a time most convenient for you.
i will try the link again
i will check out the chip path- i have some 4" clear pvc pipe- i could put a small chunk in, and observe it, and place the sensor accordingly

many many thanks
wayne

thanks, got the link to work, about to order them, and will get it all put together- thanks so much for putting this up- its a great help to us " techno peasants"
is the 12v/2amp power supply/ transformer enough to power both the unit and the revolving light?
when the parts come, i will be sure to contact you again, if i get stuck.
many thanks
wayne

is the 12v/2amp power supply/ transformer enough to power both the unit and the revolving light?

That depends upon the light. An old-fashioned 1970s police cherry lamp would likely draw way too much power. But a modern day LED equivalent with simulated rotation (rather than a real motor) hardly requires any power at all. Eg. This one only wants 3watts (0.250amps @ 12V): https://www.amazon.ca/Baoblaze-Vehicle-Enforcement-Emergency-Flashing/dp/B07BBSXNL4/ (but very slow delivery from overseas..).

many thanks Mark.
great info all round- will keep you posted as to how i make out.
this couldnt be possible without your help- cheers mate!

Hi...The strobe runs about $3.50, the power supply can be free if you have one or should be dirt cheap on eBay from China like this one: LINK. And the sensor (which ever one you go with) can be found on eBay for various prices. I was able to get mine for about $35, but I usually see them on there for around $45.
I will continue to add more to this post as this project develops and Im sure others will as well.
Currently there are ideas in the works about how to make the dust bin sensor automatically shut off the dust collector when the bin is full as well as powering the bin sensor from the dust collector power supply itself. It is also a good idea to check the original thread as a lot was discussed there regarding alternate designs and functionality. Im hoping we can move that info here as it unfolds.

Hi Mark,

I finally installed the bin full sensor in my system. It worked about a day (although still tweaking the sensitivity to limit the burst of strobe lights when the bin is not full). After a day's use my power supply died (it stopped producing 12V -- now produces about half that amount). I got a replacement from Amazon and the new power supply has also failed (it stopped producing constant voltage, instead it fluctuates wildly causing the LEDs in the bin to strobe).

Now I am thinking I am having a static issue and its blowing the power supply. My setup has the circuit board attached to the top of the MDF cover to my plastic 50 gal drum. Sensor and LED lights are inside the drum and the strobe light is sitting on top of the lid to the barrel (not in the final location).

Do you think it is a static issue? If so should I move the circuit board and strobe light off of the barrel lid to create more isolation?

Thanks for the help

I am a new member trying to figure out the timer relay wiring. I posted a new thread but it has not been "approved" yet so I guess i won't get any answers until then. Hope someone on this thread can help.

My relay has screw as follows:

dc + nc
dc - com
trigger no

I have a sensor similar the banner with brown, black and blue. wires, an old computer power supply and a 12v flashing light. I can't seem to get any to tell me precisely how to connect the wires to the relay terminals. Can someone here help clarify this for me. Thanks.

Woody Dixon

Back