Dust bin quantity sensor.

bin sensor

bin sensor

I wonder if there are any bin sensors operating at 24 volts.My relay for the cyclone is a air conditioning relay with a 24 volt coil,what I would like to do is simply have bin sensor in series with coil and shut down relay for cyclone.

Ken,

While you are reviving an old thread that started nearly five years ago on this subject, be aware that there are significant improvements that will accomodate your 24 volt A/C relay. I produce the Bin Sensor system sold on the ClearVue website and it will allow you to interface your relay to automatically shut down your cyclone when the bin fills. The Bin Sensor uses a small regulated 12 VDC power supply for its operation (the sensors, internal circuit board and control relay) and includes a bypass switch that allows the user to keep his cyclone operating during an alarm situation (such as planing a long board) until he can override the bypass and shut the cyclone down. The interface with the cyclone relay is exactly as your want -- it simply places a set of relay contacts in series with the coil on the cyclone relay. It is simple to hook up and has saved lots of users from clogged filters!

Post here or send me a PM with your email address for more details.

bin sensor

bin sensor

Mcrabbit thanks for the reply I have looked at schematic I could simply have my 24 volt coil lead interrupted by open set of your relay contacts?Also is your product all inclusive not really interested in any lights simply shutting down clear vue good enough for me.

McRabbet Bin Sensor Details

McRabbet Bin Sensor Details

The system I make is a complete unit that includes optical sensors to detect the full level of dust in the user's bin, a metal control unit powered by a small 12 VDC transformer that connects to those sensors from up to 50-75' away; a bright strobe and switchable horn to alert the user when the bin fills; and a Normal/Bypass switch (#4 on photo) that allows the cyclone to continue running when the alarm sounds -- used in special circumstances where the user wants the cyclone to continue collecting chips as when planing or jointing a long board. Once complete, the switch is moved to the Normal position and the cyclone will shut down.

The interface to the cyclone uses a power relay in the control box that opens a normally closed 10 Amp contact and breaks the power feed to the coil in the cyclone relay. This can be configured for 24 Volts or 120 volts; whatever the cyclone contactor coil uses (most ClearVue Cyclones come with a Fasco H230B relay with a 120V coil). I do not sell the components separately.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• New Bin Sensor Contents.JPG
    New Bin Sensor Contents.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Control Box Features FOS.jpg
    Control Box Features FOS.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 0
Bin sensor

Bin sensor

I pmed question to Mcrabbet but perhaps more appropiate for others to see.I will be buying the witt whd32cl garbage can with lid.I wonder if I could have two of these cans in paralell,would both cans fill up and what would be best approach for plumbing cans together.Also how would bin sensor work for this approach.I am height challenged I managed to make my cv 1400 fit in my basement by shortening one of the filters by 7 inches.It was a lot of work but it fits.I will provide pictures one day when my neighbor shows me how to post pictures.Thanks for any advice I can get.

Some Solutions to your Height and bin sensor issues

Some Solutions to your Height and bin sensor issues

Thanks for your interest in the McRabbet Bin Sensor unit for your new ClearVue Cyclone. The bin sensor system is fully adaptable to any cyclone system; the sensors simply need to be oriented so their beam passes through the flexible duct at the top of the bin. In your scenario, you are proposing to use two Witt WHD32CL garbage cans with shop-fabricated lids. At 27-1/4” high they should work alone, but I doubt they would work side-by-side to increase capacity without adding a requirement for a taller transition from the base of the cyclone into two segments of duct work. I would not recommend this method.

You stated you have a height issue and my recommendation would be to build an airtight plywood bin which can be any shape and size, with a sealed door to allow easy dust removal from it. It can be 24 inches high and whatever length and width is convenient for you. A simple 6” Starter Collar (here’s an example from the BORG) can be added to the bin top and sealed with silicone caulk and the flexible duct attached to it and the base of the cyclone (you can even cut down the collar if needed). The optical sensors can be situated on the top of the bin or mounted on standoffs from the wall behind the bin as you see fit.

One other comment and I certainly wish you had posed a question on the forum before you cut 5” off one of your filters (they may not work as well as designed). Many users that have limited ceiling heights have used the filters side have made a manifold from plywood so the filters can be set side-by-side and the blower exhaust is passed into them from the top of the manifold and out through the filters to return to the shop. Here is a post from the NCWoodworker.net forum by a colleague who made a manifold for three Farr-type filters – air in at the top that passes through the exposed pleats and out through the bottom under each filter. He has put weather stripping on the open face and encloses the entire box face by screwing on a plywood cover.

Hope this helps – the bin sensor units we have sold have helped many woodworkers keep those expensive filters clean!

height

height

Mc I knew when I shortened my filter I would sacrifice filtering capacity and did not know I could paralell filters.Too late now and I will still be buying witt can as I believe would be easier to empty.I will be in the market soon for your sensor thanks for your input.

Ken,

I want to clarify one point in the first paragraph of my post above -- the bin sensor beam could be oriented to pass through two sections of flexible duct and would activate the bin sensor alarm if either was blocked as that bin filled; my issue is more related to the added height for a transition from the cyclone base to a pair of dust bin covers.

Ken,

You may want to look at this thread over on Sawmill Creek in the Workshops section. There is an excellent example of a set of parallel filters from another ClearVue owner.

height

height

I am still wrestling with two bin idea I looked at penn state double wye that would work if I could make it fit,by decreasing flex pipe length as much as possible.Would the bin sensor beam pass through two flex tubes,thanks for your continued responses

Passing the Test

Passing the Test

Ken,

Just to show that it does work, I just took my testing unit and placed a length of 6" flex that I doubled around on itself and placed the looped pair into the light path. It works just fine -- the beam can penetrate all four layers of flex even where they are somewhat crimped togethers. Here are two pics to show what I did. The first view is from the top, showing the sensors to the right and left of the looped flex. The second picture is taken behind the right hand sensor to show that it passes through the two ducts -- you cannot see the far sensor in this view. And yes, I did block the light beam to verify that the alarm would trigger, just not with dust.

Attachments

• Payne - 2 Flex Top.jpg
    Payne - 2 Flex Top.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Payne - 2 Flex End.jpg
    Payne - 2 Flex End.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 0
sensor

sensor

Thanks for reply now I have to figure out if I can make two bins work,I assume schematic provided and all necessary componets,or what else would I need to get for bin sensor.

Rob,
What is the issue with the height related to the transition from cyclone to bin? I have a fairly tall set up as my cyclone sits at about 13' off the floor. Just wondering if I'm interpreting what your are saying correctly.
The added height seems to give me more room for error in regards to over filling. Have not had any issues.

Nick,

I have no issues with trying to add a transition below the bottom of a cyclone to split the debris into two bins as Ken had suggested, but in his case, he said he had limited height and adding the transition (like this one offered by Penn State Industries) will work against his goal of keeping the total height to a minimum, even with short drums. I'm happy to hear that your installation is working well.

Ken,

The McRabbet Woodworks Bin Sensor system comes with all of the components and an illustrated guidance document for installation. The user needs only to provide NM cable or THNN wire in a conduit (depending on local code) between the bin sensor and the dust collector junction box for the automatic shut down interconnection; I provide a schematic for that procedure. I do provide about 50' of low voltage wire to connect to the sensors to be installed at the cyclone bin (in a closet or in the shop or an outside shed, wherever) and routed to the Bin sensor control unit and alarm in a convenient, visible location in the shop within 5 feet of a convenience outlet for the 12 Volt power supply transformer.

Hope that helps you both.

Ken,
Just a thought....I think if you add 2 drums, you will find that one side always fills first. It just depends on how the cyclone drops the chips. I suppose if there was a 'Y' a fair distance from the bottom of your cyclone, it may not but that doesn't sound like an option for you.
The one example I could give is a lawn mower bushel grass catching system with two bags. One always fills and the other doesn't it seems..... Just hate to see you go through all the trouble and it not working well. If you think you may be changing bags too often with a small bin, you might just try to minimize the hassle of changing bags or emptying your bin. If it's easy, like mine, it really doesnt matter how often you have to empty it.
Good luck! I am interested to hear how it all works out.

Nick

two bins

two bins

Nick I gave up on idea of two bins and just ordered 32 gallon witt 23 gauge garbage can.Hopefully can will be easily removed then I can just throw wood chips on back of my property.Maybe birds can use chips for making a nest.I ordered a 6in. press on flange fitting from Mcmasters,for garbage can.

shorting out wire

shorting out wire

I have been installing bin sensor in permanent location and used insulated staples to secure wire provided with bin sensor.Closed off green beam sensor,strobe light and siren came on,but wire I previously attached to t9a switch still showed continuity.First thing I did was disconnect t9a connection and I still had continuity which meant one of the staples I installed shorted out wire.Would you believe after installing new wire I did it again.I have never done that before in all these years learn something new everyday,oh yeah everything working as it should now.

Ken,

I guess you found out that it isn't always blocking the sensors that can cause the McRabbet Bin Sensor system to set off the alarm! The bell wire I supply with these systems is fairly fine guage solid wire and if kinked, it can break -- you apparently took it a step further and shorted the conductors with your staples -- you need to secure the wire a bit more easily, my friend!

shorted wire

shorted wire

second time even wrapped tape around wire still shorted it.I wanted to use supplied wire run to my coil so I would know white sheathed wire from t9a switch.Ended up using 18 gauge thermostat wire and just made small hand coil of wire inside my control box to identify switch wire.The thermostat wire will be used to wire in switches I will have at each blast gate.Kind of fun really reminded me of my trouble shooting days.

Back