To Stack or not to Stack

Crafted

I have seen a few pictures in the gallery where people have the filters beside each other and not stacked as shown in the standard Clearvue setup pictures. Does it make a difference one way or the other?

Looking at Louie's pictures in the gallery, it appears it is ok for the cleanout to come before the filters. Does this make any difference as the dust settles first in the cleanout and doesn't go through the filters?

I would like to have the filters side by side as it will give me room to install a muffler but if it is better to have the filters stacked then I will go that way.

I also noticed one guy had his filters on their side and somehow had the air go from the outside in to filter as opposed to inside out. Is there any real benefit to run it this way or is it just creating a headache?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Crafted, I'm not an expert on filters but I don't think it would make any difference to have them stacked or side by side. You would want the air flow going into the side by side ones to be equal and then the air flow and pressure would be the same if stacked or not.
Louie has a nice set up with the filters on top and a large muffler but you are pushing the air through more ductwork. Any chips and dust would settle in the clean out just like having the clean out after the filters.
With the filter on its side and blowing into them from the outside, it looks like the chips and dust would settle to the bottom for easy clean up. I can see how blowing the air into the center with them in a horizontal position would trap chips and dust and make cleaning a real job.
I have mine side by side with a diverter above them where I can divert the exhaust outside or through the filters. You can see my set up at the web site below. I plan to try and put some picture in the Gallery in a couple of days.

Last edited:
Dan,
Nice site. Could you please explain of maybe post a better picture of your diverter? Blast gates on the outflow side of the cyclone can be difficult to seal so I am interested in seeing more of your set up.
Thanks

R and D,
Thanks for the comment. I didn’t take any pictures of the internal parts of the diverter during the construction. Monday, I am going to try to put some pictures on the Gallery under the DYI Cyclone and in the Dust Hoods.
I wanted to keep the exhaust air expanding so I made the diverter 9 in, sq. The internal parts consists of a flat plate for the gate that I mounted on a ½ x 5/16 in. steel pipe and used a 5/16 threadall for the axis and ½ in. formed angles for the seals which are just metal to metal. I didn’t try to make the seal air tight because I’m not concerned about the leakage between the outside and filters. There is a latch at the top to hold the gate in the straight up position so the air goes thru the filters and in for the down position, about 45 deg., to exhaust the air outside it just rests on the seal angles.

Hey R & D,

I saw Louie's picture through your reference. I believe you have a long 8" insulated flex coming off of the cyclone and running through your sxs filters. I am thinking of running my exhaust side with the 8" insulated flex about 4-5' into a 36" muffler and then a bit more insulated flex into the blowout with the filters stacked sxs on top of the blowout kinda like how Louie went. Is this too much pipe for exhaust air? I am more into having a long exhaust to help reduce the noise as it seems to work from reading on here. Is it possible to have too much length?

Crafted,
I had about 10 ft of 8 in. insulated flex hose for the exhaust that I would run out the garage door before I installed my filters. I did some air flow masurements with the 10 ft flex and afterwards with the new filters and shorter flex. I didn't get any difference in the air flow.

Crafted,
I had about 10 ft of 8 in. insulated flex hose for the exhaust that I would run out the garage door before I installed my filters. I did some air flow masurements with the 10 ft flex and afterwards with the new filters and shorter flex. I didn't get any difference in the air flow.

Thanks Dan!

Hopefully the next week or two is slow with work so I can spend some time assembling all of this. I think I will go with the filters SxS and also use roughly 5' of insulated flex into a 36" muffler with another 5' of flex off of that running into the cleanout with the two on top. I have plenty of ceiling height and think I should be able to get it to work with minimal bends.

R and D,
I created an album of my Bill Pentz cyclone that has more photos and comments on my exhaust air diverter. I want to get them in the DIY cylone gallery but I don't know how to do it or how the system works. Any help in that area would be nice.

Dan, I am hoping dwdrury will chime in here. We put ours up over 2 years ago and they have changed the format since, so between forgetting how and the changes, I don't think I would be much help.

Hi Dan,

I can move the gallery if you will tell me which gallery to move where. May take me a few days to figure it out myself but will post what i figure out.

Matt

Matt,
Thanks for the help. I have made two albums: Danscyclone that I wanted to put in the DIY Cyclones and Danscyclone Hoods that I was going to add to the Dust Pickups and Hoods.

Albums?

Albums?

Dan,

Maybe I'm getting blind in my old age but I didn't see your albums in the CV photo gallery. I'm not able to visit as often as I once did, but try to show up once a week or so.

Not entirely sure which part of the gallery you want assistance with. Is it just getting photos to the gallery or, once in the default location, moving your new albums to the appropriate categories?

For now I'm going to assume the latter. And, as Matt has graciously given me admin access to the galleries, I'm going to also assume you'd see roughly the same options as I see, though that might not be the case.

Once your album is loaded in the Default gallery, if you back out to see the whole "Default...", you should see a little box next to your gallery. One of the options there is "Move Album". Selecting that will pop up another page, with another list. There should already be a check in the box beside your album, but if not, click the box. Below that is a "Destination" dialog box. Open it up, find the appropriate gallery, such as "DIY Cyclones", then click "Move".

You can also get to the same place from inside your album. The list of options on the left of the screen should also have a "Move Album" option.

Holler if you need more assistance. As I've posted in this thread, it should notify me via email if you do.

If what I see as admin differs significantly from what you can see, also holler once you have a picture or two in each album and I can move them. Once that's done, you should be able to add more photos, edit, all those things. Suggest you only do a couple in case I screw something up and you have to do it again.

And just to reiterate, though I thought it was mentioned elsewhere, the gallery is a separate signup. You'll have to register, pick a userid and password for it as well. Can be the same, can be different.

Regards,
DWD

Albums?

Albums?

DWD,

I don’t know if you are going blind or not but maybe I’m the one that needs to see the eye doctor. I need to let you know that this is the first forum that I have joined and I don’t know how it and the gallery work.
This is what I did. I went to the Gallery and tried to login with my forum login but the gallery wouldn’t accept that. My thinking was the forum and gallery are interconnected but they are apparently separate entities. On the Forum, I found that I could make an album and put my pictures there under my id Danscyclone.
So the problem is that I don’t know how the gallery works and how to create an account and login. Once I’m in the gallery, I assume I can upload my albums and then with the instructions you gave, I can get them where I want.
Thanks,

Oops.

Oops.

Hi, Dan,

I know Matt was trying to make it so there was only one userid and password, don't know if he succeeded. Apparently not if you're not able to log onto the gallery.

Based on your last post, I just went to the gallery, and lo, it doesn't seem there's an obvious way to sign up. I'll do some research but may have to see what Matt's been up to.

More when I find it!

Regards,
DWD

I see that there is no way to sign up but the question is how did you make photo albums without logging in? I haven't tried to interconnect to forums and gallery for a while and basically have given up on that idea as it's out of my league. I will try and figure out why the regristration has left the gallery though but on mini vacation this weekend so it won't be until sunday before i do.

Sorry for all the problems,

Matt

Gallery Site Admin

Gallery Site Admin

Hi, Matt,

I just sent you a private email, think I found the problem but for fear of creating a bigger mess, didn't proceed. I sent it to your clearvue email acct, and a copy to Ed.

I'll be watching this for the next hour or so, holler or call me if I wasn't clear in the email.

Regards,
DWD

Last edited:
Matt and DWD,

Thanks for looking into this.
I created the albums on the forum by going to the "cumminity" tab and then the picture and album, then clicked the create album and they were added to my profile.

Learn something new every day!

Learn something new every day!

Hi, Dan,

Guess I just never looked. Didn't realize one could do the photos right in vBulletin. Which, of course, then begs the questions: Why have a separate Gallery, and, if the decision is made to merge, can the current gallery be successfully imported?

There goes your December, Matt!

Impressive, Dan!

Regards,
DWD

Back